This cricket pavilion in Hagley Park, Christchurch is the oldest of its kind in New Zealand and possibly in the southern hemisphere. The first cricket match in Christchurch was held in 1885, less than a year after the arrival of the first four ships. Built for the visit of the first English cricket Xi in 1864, this pavilion has become an historic landmark in Hagley Park and has been used by a number of cricket clubs over the years.
Now the official rooms of the Canterbury Umpires' Association, this pavilion has been restored to its former glory and it provides a reminder fo the days when touring teams arrived by sailing ship. Incidentally, England won that first match easily but they were much impressed by the pavilion!